French Frdays with Dorie

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

TwD: Honey Nut Brownies

I expected these brownies to have a rich dark chocolate flavor, but I found they were a bit bland instead.  I quite enjoyed the flavor of the toasted nuts but the body of the cookie was a bit disappointing.  In fact, if I had to come up with a one word description for them it would be B-O-R-I-N-G.

I ran out of honey at about the 3/4 cup mark so I completed that ingredient by using Lyle's Golden Syrup.  I noticed that the syrup was a few shades darker than the honey but other than that, I think it was a good substitute.

It took these brownies at least one hour to finish baking.  In fact, when I took them out at about the 65 minute mark they were still testing as unfinished.  I could tell that the edges were getting quite well done, though, so I finally removed them anyway.  They look almost as if they were made in layers. I think this is because the top portion was slightly underdone.  I suppose I could have tried putting foil over the edges of the pan, but it just seemed like too much effort. 

I don't think I'll give these a go another time, but I will definitely remember to toast my nuts before using them.

You can find the recipe in the book, of course, or at Suzy Homemaker's website.  She chose this week's recipe.

No comments: