French Frdays with Dorie

Monday, November 3, 2008

Bride of Frankenstein




I wanted to make a Halloween cake for the daughters of one of the men with whom I work. They are young so I did not want to make anything too gross or scary. I trolled the internet and found a cat recipe I liked but by the time I was actually ready to make the cake I had long ago lost that recipe!


I did some more trolling and happened upon Wilton's website. Normally I find their recipes dependent upon specialty cake pans and I won't spend my money on something I will use once. This time, though I could see that the pan they used had practical application.

It is in essence a double loaf pan - sixteen inches long - normal width and slightly higher than normal sides. In addition to now being able to bake my world famous sour cream pound cake as a large loaf (my world is small and yes in my world it is very famous!) I can also make Marge Simpson cakes! Surely there is an untapped market out there for those cakes! Who doesn't want a mouthful of blue icing? Oh, that would be me, yuck - maybe she will be dressed up for Halloween herself with a brown wig on - chocolate hair - now that is a flavor!

But, I digress. The cake turned out very well, though I broke both my Pampered Chef Easy Accent Decorators! Couldn't find the ring to my coupler for my normal pastry bags and had to stick my decorator tips into a zip-lock bag to finish icing this lovely lady! What a small price to pay to make a family of little girls smile!

I did not make enough green icing to make the ears properly so I stuck wafers in the side of the cake and covered them with icing - then I stuck dragees on the wafers to serve as earrings - they were also to emphasize the fact that these nubs were ears - I think it works. Pete reports that the cake is very tasty and they are enjoying it very much. The girls came to work to pick up the cake and they were very excited and pleased to receive their gift.

FYI - you better have an actual wooden board to put under this cake because a cardboard cake board is way too floppy for long-term carrying needs. I was able to put the cake (on its board) in Longaberger's large gathering basket. If I had not been able to do that I do not know how I would have been able to carry it to work. The cake is so long it is not stable on the cake board alone. I used a half-sheet board for the cake - I cut the board down for the width of the cake. I only used one thickness of board. If you doubled the board it might be strong enough to hold the cake, but I am not sure even that would be stiff enough to support the weight of all that cake.






1 comment:

Beth said...

Adorable!! I'm a fellow TWD baker, and I was thinking that it would be nice if we all could chip in and get Laurie some small token/gift for all the work she does. Would you be willing to contribute? If I can get enough people, it would only be about $1 per person. No pressure :-) Let me know! bethberg12@yahoo.com