French Frdays with Dorie

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

TwD: Toasted Almond Scones

I drove down from Delaware yesterday and stopped at Starbucks.  I got a scone along with my latte.  Big mistake, I am sure it was made sometime this year, but I am not sure it was made within the week.  Talk about dry and tasteless.  I swear that company is single-handidly going to ruin the reputation of scones everywhere! 

Fortunately, Mike of Living out West, chose Toasted Almond Scones for our weekly baking adventure.  These scones taste the way scones are supposed to taste.  They have just a touch of sweetness, the toasted almonds are added in three forms, almonds we toast and grind, almonds we toast and chop and almonds which toast themselves on top of the scones while the scones are baking.  In addition, we added just a hint of almond extract to the liquid ingredients.  Delightful.

Of course since I can't seem to do anything right the first time anymore, I did burn the living daylights out of my first cup of almonds.  Honestly, do they have to go from albinos to crispy critters in the blink of eye?  I say no, but my eye was probably blinking for more like three minutes than three seconds, so I have only myself to blame.

Luckily I had more almonds in the freezer so I was quickly able to rectify this error.  Other than that, I had no problems with this recipe at all.  I love that in a recipe. 

For those folks who find they overwork their dough trying to incorporate the butter, I do have a suggestion.  Keep your butter in the freezer, then when you are making pastry, grate the necessary amount into your flour mixture.  It is then super easy to mix into the dry ingredients, it is predisposed to make small chunks and the clumps that stick together make the larger pieces that make pastry so light and flaky.  This is especially helpful for unsalted butter since it keeps for such a short time in the refrigerator.

Check Mike's blog for the recipe, some great photos and some serious dedication - five rounds of scones!

1 comment:

Mary said...

I agree....Starbucks is ruining scones for most of America. I liked this one too.